Friday, January 26, 2007

Our House

I heard a song on the radio the other day from 1982. I was just a teenager and we had been living in a double wide mobile home for the last few years. My dad got a transfer half way across the state, so we opted to take the mobile home with us, instead of get another house once we got to our new city.

So we were driving across South Dakota, Mom driving the car I was in, Dad was driving ahead in a U-Haul. Our mobile home was being pulled by a big truck in between us. At one point, the axle to the mobile home broke, leaving the mobile home and truck stuck in the middle of the highway. We pulled up to it, my mom's eyes were wide, and I could see panic coming forward. Suddenly, we realized what was playing on the radio. No kidding.

Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle our our ...

Our house, was our castle and our keep
Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, that was where we used to sleep
Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our street.
From "Our House" by Madness.

The panic was still there for my mom, but she actually laughed for a second or two. Me and my older brother laughed for a lot bit longer. So whenever I hear that song, I picture our huge mobile home sitting in the middle of the street. It always makes me smile.

I bet Mom still doesn't.

Check out the song video here.

Chelle

7 comments:

Mike said...

Just as well it wasn't Hit The Road Jack.

Chelle / Chel said...

So true! LOL

Chelle

Mike said...

That must have been quite a scene. I can see some humor in it too lol.

Barb said...

I remember that song! And I would have been laughing, too :)

Erika Jean said...

Oh my gosh! thats so funny!

Unknown said...

That's hilarious! Once I went to the bathroom at a movie theater and the song being piped in was "Taking Care of Business." But yours is appropriate AND dramatic. Love it!

Nikki Neurotic said...

Oh lord, that's just too funny and freaky.

Credits

This layout made by and copyright cmbs.