Friday, December 26, 2008

What!?

For my job, I get to visit vulnerable adults who may have been abused, neglected, or exploited. Sometimes these cases are closed pretty quickly because there's nothing to them, the adult is fine with the conditions, or a myriad of other reasons. But one thing that's the same in each case, I have to see the alleged victim face to face, by law.

One case, I had a difficult time seeing the woman. I knew I was being dodged, but couldn't figure out how to get in the door. Finally, I left my business card on her door and that very afternoon, she called me. I explained that I needed to see her and she said she was fine. I explained again I needed to see her face, and she said, "I know someone thinks my family member is abusing me, but they're not." I said I would like the opportunity to discuss that in person and she said, "Fine. Can you wait until the bruises heal?"

I paused, not sure what to make of such a thing, and this was long enough for her to laugh and say, "I'm kidding!"

Maybe I'm jaded ... because that was very funny!

Chelle

No comments:

Credits

This layout made by and copyright cmbs.