Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Oh, Thanks

While I was still doing my practicum at the long term skilled nursing facility (a fancy way of saying "nursing home"), I was having a conversation with a patient in his 40's. He'd been shot in the head years previous and it left him physically unable to completely care for himself. It also left his speech difficult. He could speak, but only a few words at a time.

He had just had a haircut that day. He had shoulder length hair, even still, but we were discussing his new cut. I said, "It looks nice and trimmed. Do you like it?"

"No," he said.

I said, "Why not?"

He just shook his head at me.

"Do you wish you had more off of it?" I asked.

"No," he said. "More on."

With that, the other Gerontologist who was standing nearby swung her head toward us and said, "I could have sworn he just called you a moron!"

Thanks a lot.

Chelle

No comments:

Credits

This layout made by and copyright cmbs.